Monday, May 5, 2008

Museum Trip

On Friday the 14th March i visited Auckland Museum on a school trip to view the section on World Wars because we are studying World War 1 in my Social Science class. I found the trip heaps of fun! I love learning History! It's so interesting to see what happened in the past and compare that to now. Their defence techniques they used during the World Wars were so basic and old fashioned. It's so basic. They would build wooden fences around their village to protect it and also the could aim their weapons out the holes in the sides. It is so basic but it works!Probably the most interesting part of the exhibition was looking at the trenches. Men lived in the trenches together for about 4 years during the war. I learnt from the trench displays that men in the trenches started to get attracted to one another because they hadn't had woman contact for a while that they just got attracted to the men they lived with. Most of them had wives back at home too. The trenches were dark and gloomy, I would NOT like to stay in them!I also enjoyed The Sanctuary and the hall with all the names in it. They made me feel really respectful and I was blown away with the amount of names there were. All of those men fought for our country and that made me really moved. I really liked the plank panels on one of the walls in the hall. It said "Let these panels never be filled" i thought that sent a very strong message.I think that the museum trip could have improved and been better. The work sheets that we had to fill in had too many questions! I was in too much of a rush to fill in the sheets than actually look around myself at all the other Interesting aspects of the World War sections. When i did look around myself I did find more important information more to the topic of what I was learning. The questions on the sheet were only small thing off the topic and not more to the point. Looking around myself was more educational for my learning!All up, the museum trip was a lot of fun and I learnt a lot from looking around!

No comments: