Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Maaori room opening

On Friday the 29th of August my mother and I, along with over 100 more people arose from our deep sleeps at about 4.00am. That is right four in the morning! We woke up super early to be a part of the opening of the new Maaori room opening at my school. It was quite a good turn up and we had some special guests. Buck Shelford who is an ex-rugby player. We also had Hone Harawera who is a member of the Maaori party in New Zealand. We got welcomed into the new room and had a plaque fro the new room. We went around and touched all the walls and had a karakia. Then we got seated and everyone got up and had speeches and did a waiata, which in English means a song. Something really cool is that there was a camera man there, it wasn't just an ordinary person with a camera, he was from a television channel. He was from Maaori television. He had filmed quite a lot of stuff but I knew that it wasn't all going to be on, like when I got up did my speech. However I knew I was definitely going to be on Maaori television because when the camera man was interviewing Hone Harawera me and my friend Jamie asked if we could be in the background and he said yes. YES! So I saw myself on T.V.! YES! Ha-ha! After all that stuff we had a feed and it was good! Over all it was a really good morning and I think it was worth getting up at for in the morning!

No comments: